Saturday 13 August 2011

Spot them, keep off

They roam the estates, villages and open grounds, they belong to no one, they have no place to call home. Their means of survival is only known to them. Some are harmless, others are a don't-pass-near-me-or-else type.

They are the animal kingdom kind of vagabonds. Stray dogs.
The way they walk or behave at any one moment will always pass a message. Some run following a straight course, others run with head down while others will occasionally stop to sniff at the surrounding before resuming their journey with the head still descended.

There is yet another breed, the never-walk-alone type; these ones will be found in groups of three and above, they have a way of communication as once in a while they will stop, look at each other, twist their head in a specific manner and then go back to their mission. Most interesting is that they are on most occasions on the run.

I happened to meet one the other day, it was dusk already and it gave gave me right of passage. Dogs have a strong sense when it comes to their environment; I realised this since my footsteps could hardly be heard yet the dog had already started sniffing around by the time I noticed it. I forgot about it almost immediately, after walking past it, one eye looking at it and the other on the ground where I was headed to.

The neighbourhood has quite a number of dogs but most of them are kept within the confines of the homesteads, they keep the area lively by barking occasionally. A clear indication that any dog walking around is 'strange'.

The following day, as I slowly walk to catch a matatu, out of 'nowhere' emerges the same dog I had encountered the previous day. Actually, I only noticed it when it had already caught hold of my trouser, I must have shouted, am not so certain. One turn around he dog lept and made away stopping severally to look at me, this time I only stood staring at it. So the two of us were scared at each other. 

It didn't bite me but there are two marks of teeth on my trouser just below the knee joint.
I have since become 'dogphobic' and whenever I wear that trouser the marks remind me of the dog.

Some rumour has it that such dogs are more common during the cold season. 


2 comments:

  1. Dogs are a mans best friend as they say, well stray one's could be as bad but as you said most of them tend to be harmless, some of them have owners and maybe doing rounds - thrill seeking while others maybe looking for a mate!. Pole for the dog bite,... a trick i learnt from shaggs if u wanna know who is scared between you and the dog while in that moment of "stare" - bend down as if to pick something, if the dog just stares back, bad and dangerous go... but if it takes of... it is scared of you and mostly harmless.... Good thing most of them do take off, but remember, this works only in a "no one's territory"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gud one agent Kowalski, pls call it a dog bite threat!
    Point taken though.

    ReplyDelete